Military Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liz--Home Made Soap?

5 posters

Go down

Liz--Home Made Soap? Empty Liz--Home Made Soap?

Post by Tate Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:05 pm

I really want to make some Pumpkin Spice type soap.

Do you make lye soap or do you just do melt and pour type soaps?

I know you have made some so tell me how hard its gonna be!?

If I do lye where do I get lye from?

This sounds awesome but hard too Shocked http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/pumpkinsoap.htm

Anything else I need to know?!
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Liz--Home Made Soap? Empty Re: Liz--Home Made Soap?

Post by Liz Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I make lye soap. It is not hard, you just have to be SUPER careful with the lye.

You can get lye from pretty much any little hardware store. It is in the drain cleaner/ plumbing section.

There are 2 types of soap you can make with lye, hot process or cold process. I do hot process, mainly because you can do smaller batches, and you don't have to let the soap cure. Cold process you have to let sit for a few weeks before you can even touch it.

Just come here and make some with me! lol
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Ugh. I wish I could!!! That would be pretty much awesome!

i was thinking hot process. I don't want to wait forever. What or where do you get your recipes from? Also where do you get your fragrance oils/essential oils from?
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 am

I use a crock pot to do my hot process. It works really well because it doesn't get too hot. Buy one just for soap though. I picked one up at the Goodwill for like 5 bucks. Better safe than sorry on eating lye!

This website has a few recipes I really like:
http://www.millersoap.com/castile.html#FavCastile

I am going to try the all vegetable soap one on there today. I have done the castiles and they are all really nice.

This website has lots of supplies:

http://www.brambleberry.com/

But in all honesty, I have bought a lot from Amazon too. The things that will be harder to find are Palm oil (cheaper on BB than Amazon) and oils. Oils you can find usually at health food stores if you want to smell them first. I have used this site for oils and I like them a lot:

http://www.sweetcakes.com/

Soap molds are the one thing I wish I had, but am improvising for now. You can really use any kind of box. I have some old wooden cheese boxed I have been using. I have used tea boxes, square milk cartons, they all work fine. I just want the boxes made for soap making. The sides come off and most have a cutter guide. Like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78803625/soap-mold-1-2lb-soap-cutter-no-liner?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=soap+mold&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Ummm...that's all I can think of for now. It is a little overwhelming at first, but I swear it gets easier. Watch some youtube videos on hot process. Read a bunch of stuff online and when you get to doing it it will be easier!
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 am

I found a website last night that showed hot process using a crock pot! I thought that was a good idea lol yes will be on the look out for a used crock pot!

It is over whelming. But yesterday all I was finding were cold process instructions but after find the hot process steps it looks much more doable. I plan on watching some youtube videos then going out and buying all the junk it takes to make it! I'm hoping to have some soon so I can start getting Christmas presents together!

That box looks awesome!

I have a feeling finding oils and such will be pretty hard around here. We don't have a health store but there is a Hobby Lobby about 35 minutes from here so I figure I'll be frequenting there for the smelly good stuff.

Does walmart usually have coconut and palm oil?
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Coconut oil yes, palm oil no. I can't find palm oil any where around here, which would make me think you would probably have a hard time finding it there. There is a recipe on the miller soap link I posted that does not use either of them. It uses shortening, olive oil, and castor oil. I think that is the recipe I will try today. Palm oil is hard to come by, and there is a lot of controversy about its sustainability. So I tend to just not use it, unless I know it is from a reputable source, but them it is pretty spendy.

Hobby Lobby here has a few good smells in the soap/ candle making part of the store.

I can't decide what I am going to make today. I want to do some fall smells. I have a recipe for pumpkin beer soap (sounds weird, but I think it would be awesome), I want to do some cinnamon, and I would like to get one more batch of rosemary mint in before the frost comes and kills my rosemary and mint plants.

I like to use natural elements in my soap, like oatmeal, poppy seeds, cinnamon, herbs, honey. That's the nice things about making your own soap. And like you said, it is awesome for gifts! People love homemade soap! I just got some Christmas oil in that I can't wait to use. I am trying to get through my fall stuff first though!
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm gonna have to get around to ordering some scents. Pumpkiny fallish scents......MMm! All this good smelly soap makes me want to eat lol!
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 am

Mmmmmmmm soap. lol I need to stick my head in the Yankee Candle store.

Fall is almost here! bliss
Jeannette
Jeannette
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Jeannette! Where have you been hiding?!?!

The leaves on the Alverno campus are changing already. Just thought I would rub it in. Mwahahaha!
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Eh. I've been around. Busy busy busy. Rut after rut. The usual.

I'm good.

I totally don't miss that cold though! I'm excited for warm apple pies and smells, just not the cold. lol
Jeannette
Jeannette
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 am

I'm soooo ready for the cooler weather and all the things (minus allergies) that come with fall!!!
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm

agree Reese's 5th birthday marks the first day of fall (Sept. 23rd!)
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedreamery Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 am

Ahh... fall... I'm with Jeannette, I don't want the cold to come. What're you doing for Reese's 5th birthday, Tate? Please tell me that you're getting him a transformer pinata.
belovedreamery
belovedreamery

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down