Homeschooling

Go down

Homeschooling

Post by Liz on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm

This came up in another thread today. What are your thoughts? Would you? Are homeshooled kids socially deficient? Can they learn at home what they would in a classroom?
Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Homeschooling

Post by Kala on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:04 am

I would really consider homeschooling Kassidy when the time comes. Wes however is totally against it. He feels that she needs interaction with other people and homeschooling doesn't do that.

Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:10 am

We've talked about it. My husband was homeschooled pretty much from 3rd grade on, whereas I went to public school the whole time. So our views on the topic a different, but we have both perspectives to go off of. As of right now, we both feel that we have no need to homeschool. The educational system here is amazing and our dd is in an amazing school that we all love.

DH's preference should that change is that we immediately homeschool and my immediate preference is to look for other options first. It's not that I'm against the idea. I just don't believe that it's the best situation for our daughter. On the other hand I could see our son thriving in the situation.

As for deficiencies, like any educational system this has it's flaws and drawbacks. No my husband isn't stupid by any means, but he was also educated as his mother saw fit. So subjects that I took for granted he possibly never touched upon them or it's spotty and exactly what his mom wanted him to know, because it wasn't designated by the state as important.

As for being socially inept, I think it also depends on the parent. DH isn't really socially inept, but he will tell you that he does have difficulties interacting with some of his peers or in various situations. He was "socialized", but his exposure to "public" was limited to his church, and people that his parents deemed appropriate or those in the exact same situation (homeschooling).

According to him, the studies saying that homeschoolers do better in college are correct in certain cases, but come with large caveats. He had no problems interacting with adults, but had trouble interacting with others his age. After talking to a lot of HS kids, we believe its a combo of personality and the way you are socialized.

Soooooo. If you skipped all of that, what I'm trying to say is that I don't have a problem with the idea as long as its done correctly and responsibly. In some situations, it's better for the individual, but like public/private schools it's far from being one-size-fits-all, catchall/cure-all for all of society's problems.

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Reese goes to a private catholic school right now. We are hoping we are able to keep him there until he finishes the 2nd grade and then switches over to public school in the 3rd grade. That will give him a good base and hopefully a head start over the other kiddo's.

I personally don't like homeschooling. Those that I know that are homeschool are socially awkward. Does that mean they all are? No not by any means but I have to say that while I was in public school I really enjoyed all the extra things I got to do like sports, band, etc. etc. It just isn't the same in a homeschool environment as it is with a huge group of kids. I can see where some would thrive with homeschooling though.

So I guess the main thing is: Do what is right for you and your child!

Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:51 pm

I think I would like it for elementary school, then maybe by 5th or 6th grade send her to school. I know it will never happen.

My friend homeschools and has a blog in case anybody wants to check it out. She is super funny and her kids are too!

http://thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com/
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Hahahaha! Tate, I totally make fun of my husband and friends for being homeschooled whenever they mess something up. Then they make fun of me with my Arkansas public educational system upbringing.

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:20 pm

I was homeschooled for a year and so was my sister. It was only because we were in such a ghetto place that the schools were AWFUL.

I didn't like it. I'd prefer my kids go to a regular public school. However, we live in a small town outside of Raleigh, where the schools are really good. Had we still been living in Milwaukee, hell to the no. I wouldn't send my dog there.

Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:21 pm

I was homeschooled for a year and so was my sister. It was only because we were in such a ghetto place that the schools were AWFUL.

I didn't like it. I'd prefer my kids go to a regular public school. However, we live in a small town outside of Raleigh, where the schools are really good. Had we still been living in Milwaukee, hell to the no. I wouldn't send my dog there.

Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crysty1e on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

Liz wrote:I think I would like it for elementary school, then maybe by 5th or 6th grade send her to school. I know it will never happen.

My friend homeschools and has a blog in case anybody wants to check it out. She is super funny and her kids are too!

http://thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com/

LOVE her blog!! I am going to read through it now!
crysty1e

http://www.cmzutz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crysty1e on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:54 am

I plan on homeschooling within the next year or two. I would start now, but I'm not in a position to go totally part time at work. I plan on starting by next Fall when Natalee is 4 and Brayden would be going into 3rd grade. There are so many homeschooling programs around here down south that the kids can get "socialized" through. I LOVE the idea of Liz's friends Blog... maybe this should be my next project. Smile
crysty1e

Back to top Go down

Post by crysty1e on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Took the plunge and am now certified and registered through the State of NC. Zutz-Hamilton Academy is now up and running as of July 25th, 2012!!
crysty1e

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum