Military Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military One Source - Taxes

4 posters

Go down

Military One Source - Taxes Empty Military One Source - Taxes

Post by jnavywife Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10 am

Military One Source offers free tax preparation through H&R block online every year. Generally available the third week of January, all you have to do is login (or register) at militaryonesource.com and click on tax preparation. It will give you a link to follow to H&R block. You must follow the link to get the free program (it's one that you would pay $20-$30 without this) and sign up (or login) for H&R block. It's a great service, super easy to use, very user friendly, we have used it for the past 3 years.
jnavywife
jnavywife

Back to top Go down

Military One Source - Taxes Empty Re: Military One Source - Taxes

Post by Tate Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:22 am

Awesome! We are waiting for my w-2 from my moms business to get here and then of course the bank's to get here. HURRY UP!
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 am

Whaaaaa? I paid those guys last year. lol

I've never done them online... I've always done them by hand...except for last year where I had 2 W-2s from 2 different states and I was lost...so I paid em...and ended up teaching THEM how to do it. ROFL

Last edited by Jeannette on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I'm just...an idiot.)
Jeannette
Jeannette
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 am

Okay Jeannette re-read what you wrote "I've never done them online...I've always done them online..." LMAO Razz

I've never done mine online...I have 1 W-2 from AR and then 1 W-2 from NC...Johns is from NC. So I don't know how to do them.
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 am

ROFL Ok...I changed it. I've always done by hand!!!

That was the issue I had last year.

There's two forms. Are you filing separate or joint? We did separate last year (not sure what we'll do this year...probably separate again...)

All I literately had to do was pull the form from my homestate, fill that out, and then pull the form from NC and do that one...

Federal is easy obviously...you just combine the 2 incomes, doesn't matter what state it came from.
Jeannette
Jeannette
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 am

We are filing joint. I will probably just take them some where and let THEM deal with it.
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jnavywife Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 am

I've dealt with the two states online every year and they fill everything out pretty much for you. I am a resident of NC (and previously Maine) and Chris is a resident of Colorado. So when you get to the state part, it just asks you who was a resident where, I put I am a resident of NC and nonresident of Colorado and then Chris is the opposite. Then for pay, it enters the amount of taxable income for Chris in CO and me in NC. It's actually pretty simple.

We file joint too, for both federal and both states.

The difficult part is when we moved and I had three states then! I had some income in Maine, then some in NC, then Chris's in CO. Freakout
jnavywife
jnavywife

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05 pm

lol yeah thats why I just take it to the people and let them deal with all that. makes my life so much easier.
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:51 pm

This year is the first year that I am going to attempt to do our taxes myself. Thanks for the info. I may be asking you guys questions. Military One Source - Taxes 213115
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by jnavywife Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:28 pm

jmetz4 wrote:This year is the first year that I am going to attempt to do our taxes myself. Thanks for the info. I may be asking you guys questions. Military One Source - Taxes 213115

If you use this program, it's so simple, seriously. I don't think you can make a mistake. I had never touched my taxes before (my mommy always did them, lol) until I moved out with DH. I did them the first year and now every year since then and it's really simple most of the time. With H&R Block, they ask you basic set of questions, income, savings, 401(k), real estate, student loan interest, child care credits, etc, etc, etc. You check off everything that will apply to you, they check off the things that apply to almost everyone and then it will ask you for your info. Fill out your personal info, then your W-2(s) and interest stuff, all of that good stuff and it calculates everything for you.
jnavywife
jnavywife

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:23 pm

jnavywife wrote:
jmetz4 wrote:This year is the first year that I am going to attempt to do our taxes myself. Thanks for the info. I may be asking you guys questions. Military One Source - Taxes 213115

If you use this program, it's so simple, seriously. I don't think you can make a mistake. I had never touched my taxes before (my mommy always did them, lol) until I moved out with DH. I did them the first year and now every year since then and it's really simple most of the time. With H&R Block, they ask you basic set of questions, income, savings, 401(k), real estate, student loan interest, child care credits, etc, etc, etc. You check off everything that will apply to you, they check off the things that apply to almost everyone and then it will ask you for your info. Fill out your personal info, then your W-2(s) and interest stuff, all of that good stuff and it calculates everything for you.

I just thought of this. Since Chris just went in are we still able to use this? I mean since we won't have a W-2 from the Army.
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by jnavywife Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am

Yes, you can use it still. If he's active now, that's what matters to military one source. Once you are logged in to military one source they have nothing to do with taxes, so they won't even know what your income is.
jnavywife
jnavywife

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 am

Okay. Thanks. Once I get my other 2 W-2s and his other 2 then I will go check it out. I have to make some calls today to get those...
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down