Military Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coupons

+2
Wenchette
Liz
6 posters

Go down

Coupons Empty Coupons

Post by Liz Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Do you use them? Love them? Hate them? What are your tips?
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Coupons Empty Re: Coupons

Post by Wenchette Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 pm

I love using them. The cost of living here is pretty high and we aren't close enough to the commissary to make a weekly drive worthwhile. Their stock is pretty hit or miss anyway. So my coupons definitely come in handy. Even if it's something that I'm buying out of its sale cycle, I'm still saving a little bit.

My biggest tips to couponing n00bs are to be realistic. Stick to products that you know you'll use, start small and build up, and organize everything. It's fine to try something new, but try to catch it on sale and use a coupon that way if it sucks, you're not out a ton of money.

Before you buy, ask yourself are you really going to use 30 jars of Miracle Whip before they expire? Do you even use this stuff in the first place? Can you donate it or resell it? Remember that you've got to store that stuff somewhere. Keep your lists of what all you have in your stock up to date that way you don't run out one day and have to pay full price.

Learn the sale cycles and plan ahead using them. Also learn what your stock up price is. My husband and I argue that one a lot.

My favorite thing is my coupon train I started when my friends and I started really PCSing around more. We all get the same big name stuff, but there are also a ton of other smaller brand coupons too. It helps that we all like different stuff also.

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Oh and have a budget. I started out really little. I would dedicate $20-$30/week to stockpiling. Anything leftover went into my couponing savings jar. From there I could either roll it into more stockpiling or it became "fun" money that we could only touch at the end of the year.

I ended up buying a new vacuum with it. I freaking love my dyson!

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:24 pm

We use them for a few things. Like diapers!!!!!!!!
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 am

I really want to use them, but I can't seem to find anything that I would use them on, I bought a Sunday paper last week, just to see, and really couldn't find anything. The foods that have coupons are for the most part way processed, which I can't eat, and the beauty products are so expensive that even with a coupon, they are still more than what I would normally use.
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Well I did just go to target and got a bunch of school supplies for free, super cheap dishwasher soap, and fluoride rinse and saved about 10 dollars all together so coupons have redeemed themselves for me today. Lol.
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm

It may very well be that the coupons you get just suck. Have you tried looking online or contacting the companies directly? I know odowalla juice has a pretty good coupon out online right now. Toms of Maine had some last month both paper and online. Driscoll's emails me fruit coupons a lot. Amazon actually offers a lot of case deals for nut butters and various similar items randomly as well. I've never done that myself, but I know some people love them.

Otherwise, most of my "healthy" coupons actually come from the grocery store. Join their stupid little shopping programs. Personally i dont bother loadung anything on my card because i forgwt what all is on there and then it jacks with my purchase savings. I get a couple of packets a month from King Soopers (Kroger) for meat/veggies/milk/eggs/etc in the mail though and I love that. I can combine those store coupons with their sales and a manufacturer's coupon and really max out on the savings. I also will buy non-healthy things and doctor them up. Like boxed mixes for muffins or cakes and brownies. It doesn't work if you have actual medical conditions and can't have stuff in the mix, but for most people it's not a bad starting base for a recipe.

Sunflower Market just combined with Sprouts and they both have really great prices on stuff. If you're into organic at all, check them out if they're nearby you. Whole Foods can be tricky. They're a place where you REALLY want to shop smart. Otherwise they turn into Whole Paycheck. Wink I don't personally know about east coast chains like Lion's or the various commissaries, but you can check them out online.

I've gotten really, really picky about the items I buy lately, but I can still use coupons. It just takes a bit more work and a little more digging.

Oh and Walgreens or Target usually offer the best combos on the beauty products. Kmart occasionally will. You have to wait for them to cycle through though. That's where I get the free toothbrush/paste and shower/razor deals. I can't do the beauty products thanks to my psycho skin, but I get the brushes and tools.

Last edited by Wenchette on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Liz wrote:Well I did just go to target and got a bunch of school supplies for free, super cheap dishwasher soap, and fluoride rinse and saved about 10 dollars all together so coupons have redeemed themselves for me today. Lol.
Hahaha! Eventually and occasionally they'll spit out CATs too which are nice. I roll the ones from Walgreens.

Dammit I want a Rite-Aid!

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:23 pm

The ones at CVS are pretty kickin. There was a free gummy vitamins, and they were BOGO this week, so they were completely free. Score!
Liz
Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Nice! That's what sucks here is that we don't have the stores that offer the truly free deals or the prices here don't match the rest of the US. So I still end up paying for free stuff unless I drive across the state line.

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Love them but don't have time or any good stores to use them at! I didn't realize how much time I devoted to using them when I was SAHM. Now with work and just Walmart to shop at it isn't worth it Blah!
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:07 pm

i would love to start coupon-ing, but i cant find ones for the stuff i use ever. ive tried online and papers and they just suck ass and i dont need anything they have.
Kelly
Kelly

Back to top Go down

Post by crysty1e Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:54 am

Kelly - I have the same problem, then find myself buying things I don't need.
crysty1e
crysty1e

http://www.cmzutz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm

i know it sux. i dont want to waste any money on stuff we dont need. i cant get back in the habit of that now that we are one hundred percent out of debt.
Kelly
Kelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Wenchette Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:39 pm

In your situations, the only thing I would possibly reccomend is buying the moneymakers. You could the credit towards your real purchases and then donate or sell the freebies at a garage sale or something.

Wenchette

Back to top Go down

Post by crysty1e Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 am

Kelly wrote:i know it sux. i dont want to waste any money on stuff we dont need. i cant get back in the habit of that now that we are one hundred percent out of debt.

That is awesome!!! I hope to be there... one day lol Freakout
crysty1e
crysty1e

http://www.cmzutz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down