Military Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealing with daddy being gone

3 posters

Go down

Confused Dealing with daddy being gone

Post by jmetz4 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 pm

I think it is starting to get to Connor that daddy isn't here. He was okay for the week (maybe a little less). But now he not only won't sleep in his own bed (which is fine. I don't mind co-sleeping for most of the night) but he won't sleep! He screams even when I am laying next to him. If I get up to piddle or brush my teeth or get him something to drink, he freaks out. It only bothers me because I don't know what to do to make him feel better. I am pretty sure he has noticed that daddy hasn't been here for a while now and thats what this is about. Help!
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Confused Re: Dealing with daddy being gone

Post by Tate Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Hm...have you tried doing one of those chains...you write down something every day on a little piece of paper and then connect all the pieces of paper to make a chain. Most people start then at the front door and end them at the front door something like that? Maybe that will help him. Also have you had him draw pictures for daddy or show him his picture daily. Tell him things like "I bet your daddy is thinking of you right now" or "daddy loves you so much" etc. etc.

Or how about a jar with pieces of paper in it and he gets to take once piece out every day. Etc.
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 pm

He colors for daddy. We talk about how daddy will be home soon and how daddy loves him every day. How daddy is thinking about him right now. I never thought about one of those paper chains. He is only 2. Do you think that is too old of an activity for him?
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 pm

No I think it will be a good activity...something that will help him deal with daddy during the day instead of at night.

Is he getting enough activity? Going to the park, the mall, the aquarium, etc. Things that will really keep him active during the day. Especially at two they get really bored because they are so active.

OH and a DADDY doll! You send in a picture of daddy and they will put it on the doll. https://www.hugahero.com/

There is also separation tips on that website as well!
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 pm

We do a lot during the day. We try to go for walks but its been so cold I have had to cut them short. We have been going to hang out with friends with kids around his age more. He loves it! I am going to look into the daddy doll. I think that will help.. Thanks!
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by jmetz4 Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 am

So I showed my mom the daddy dolls. She told me that she can get fabric to print on at the local fabric store. So I am now editing out the background on the most recent full body picture of him I have. I hope this works!
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by LaDonna Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 am

The daddy doll is a great idea! We got one for DD. We picked up an extra voice recorder at Build a Bear so DH could record this voice also!

Um, I would also make a routine of something..... anything really..... but like everynight before bed time you draw a picture for daddy or write daddy a note telling him what you guys did today. The routine will help more than anything..... plus it would be a pretty awesome thing for DH to have when he returns.

You could set up a little table in your house with a picture of daddy, and say this is the daddy corner.... and every night we will color daddy a picture about what we did that day. yes
LaDonna
LaDonna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down