Military Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can this work??

+2
jmetz4
JessiNicole
6 posters

Go down

Confused Can this work??

Post by JessiNicole Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm

So, I guess this is just more of a "let it out to ppl who understand" type of thread, because having this discussion with my friends and family who aren't military don't really understand where i am coming from and why I'm confused...

I'm returning to school in the summer after about a years break, and I'm still trying to decide where my lifes headed, esp. with DF in the air force. I'm struggling because originally I had wanted to do biology and go into research. But I've always had a part of me that wanted to go into medicine, more specifically I want to be a dr, an ob/gyn Smile I've been really considering it, esp. since having ashton and seeing how they operate first hand. But the thing about going into medicine is that my job will be just as demanding as DFs and the schooling, once i'm out of my undergrad, won't exactly be "transferable", esp not once you get into residency. I'd basically have to hope that they didn't transfer DF once I started med school, because it's possible to transfer but it's a pain the butt, so much harder than undergrad. All that, plus my LO and DFs job, I just am already forseeing problems.

everyone tells me to just "go for it" and that I shouldn't let anyone stop me from my dream, and I understand that, but if i did it, I feel like my life with DF would be pointless because we'd never see each other. his job would keep him away, as would mine. We'd never have family time... I've never even known a family who had a military person and a doctor as the heads of household, it's seems almost impossible match anyways. Unfortunatly, since I'm going back in the summer,i need to decide soon because I only have another year and half left of undergrad and this decision is goign to dictate the courses I take..
JessiNicole
JessiNicole

http://milotown.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Confused Re: Can this work??

Post by jmetz4 Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

It will be hard but you can do it. You're right you will probably rarely get to spend time with DF but if its what you want to do you should go for it. It may be hell though
jmetz4
jmetz4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannette Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, I might be the person you're looking to talk to. lol

I have a full-time 200% demanding job that hinders me from being close to my husband. Thankfully, I found a job that is 2 hours away from base. Conclusion? He travels home on the weekends. UNLESS your husband is a lifer, it can work. Time flies. We've been living this way for almost 2 years and he has been deployed/gone for training for about...ummm...half of it. It doesn't feel like the time has flown this much but it has, he gets out December next year.

We have a 5 year relationship foundation PRIOR to the military-life so that helps alot. My husband is so busy during the week that it's not bad having him come home refreshed and away from his aggrivating work-week. We spend Friday nights, Saturday, and half of Sunday together. It works for us because we know it's temporary. The extra income is AMAZING and is the driving reason for me to stay up here (since he's getting out anyway...). He gets to come home, away from base, and be in a "civilian" world and enjoys it. Ya, the time apart sucks, but in the longrun, it's very beneficial for our family.

If you want it, go for it. As long as the two of you are on board, it CAN work.
Jeannette
Jeannette
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.militarysupportsite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tate Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

I say where there is a will theres a way. It wouldn't be easy but if thats what you want to do then go for it.
Tate
Tate
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedreamery Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:12 pm

I agree with Jeannette, it depends on you.
I was a pre-pharmacy my first year of college. I 100% wanted to go to get my PharmD/PhD in pharmacology. Then I reevaluated everything. DB is a lifer. I don't have money. Competing for 2 scholarship spots out of 2000 applicants... not my cup of tea. I started researching halfway through my first year and fell completely in love with it. I'm now vying for a PhD spot in biochemistry and they're paying my tuition for me, paying my health insurance for me, flying me out to interview, putting me in a hotel room, taking me snowshoeing, giving me a monthly stipend once I start, etc... as long as I change my state residency and never get a C in graduate school and I work hard, I'm fine.

I suggest getting involved in a summer research experience (where they pay you, whether part-time or full-time) to figure out what you want to do. Can this work?? 95619
belovedreamery
belovedreamery

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunna Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 am

Have you ever thought of doing a PA/NP route? I work with a lot of them and its about a six year school. I am actually getting ready to go back to school to get my Bachlors in Nursing next year then hopefully keep my on a track to get my nurse practitioners. Not exactly what you want but you can work at the AF base as a civilian so if you get transfered at least you know you will always have a job.
Shaunna
Shaunna

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiNicole Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:41 am

Those are all really good ideas actually... Smile Thank you guys for the support and advice! I guess I shall just look and try to find something in the area to get a feel for everything and go from there... I have the summer and then it's crunch time... eek!
JessiNicole
JessiNicole

http://milotown.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down